Hazardous Materials Regulations

Hazardous Materials

Chino Valley Fire District Community Risk Reduction regulates hazardous materials to prevent spills and releases, and also provides technical reference in the event of a hazardous materials emergency.

Defining a Hazardous Material

Hazardous materials are a fact of modern life. Many of the things we take for granted every day, such as fueling our cars, having our clothes dry cleaned, having your pictures developed, etc., all involve hazardous materials. Hazardous materials, when handled properly and in their normal containment, do not represent a hazard. However, when misused and out of their normal containment, hazardous materials can be harmful and sometimes deadly.

New Businesses & Hazardous Materials

If you are considering starting a business which will use hazardous materials, or to start handling or increase substantially the amount of hazardous materials you handle, contact the Fire District first. Depending on the amounts of hazardous materials you will handle, you could trigger the requirements for an H (Hazardous) Occupancy. H occupancies require a higher building standard than normal commercial occupancies. By checking with us first, we can help you determine if you will need to upgrade your facility to meet the H requirements, or if there are changes you can make to help you avoid having to upgrade the building.

The City of Chino currently requires any new business that will handle hazardous materials to have their proposed inventory of hazardous materials and processes involving hazardous materials reviewed by the fire district before the City of Chino will issue the business the permits they need from the city.

The Chino Valley Fire District regulates and enforces the provisions of the California Fire Code relating to hazardous materials. This includes the use and storage of hazardous materials such as:

  • Flammables
  • Combustibles
  • Corrosives
  • Poisons
  • Oxidizers
  • Explosives
  • Reactive (unstable) materials
  • Organic peroxides
  • Pyrophoric materials
  • Water reactive materials
  • Carcinogens
  • Radioactive materials

If you handle any of these materials, you may require a fire district permit and inspection.

In addition, a Fire District permit is required for above-ground tanks, propane tanks, and for the installation or removal of underground storage tanks.