Station 61 replaces the oldest fire station in the District, which was built in 1954. The new Fire Station 61 opened in 2011. It is a four-bay station that houses a paramedic engine staffed by three personnel, a ladder truck staffed by four personnel and a paramedic squad staffed by two personnel.
There are also multiple specialty pieces of apparatus housed at Fire Station 61 that are cross-staffed by personnel on the ladder truck and paramedic engine. These pieces of equipment include a Hazardous Materials unit, an Urban Search and Rescue unit and Water Tender 61. The on-duty battalion chief is based out of at Fire Station 61.