A New Era
In 1935, the City administrators felt that they were unfairly carrying the burden of fire protection since the City was paying for this protection but rural residents were not. Every alarm in the rural district was taking the City's protection away from the City residents. So, a separate entity, the Chino Rural Fire Department, was organized by the vote of the people. It was established under the Health and Safety Code, Section 14400.
In April, 1942, the City Council approved Chief Wagner's recommendation to organize a Women's Auxiliary Fire Group. During the war years, manpower was critically short; and the women's group was to assist with fire suppression in Chino's 93-square-mile area. The women were trained in all phases of fire suppression, apparatus operation and life-saving techniques. Every auxiliary member was trained to fight fires, render first aid (including machine-operated resuscitation and inhalation), make forcible entry, understand salvage operations, operate communications and know radio codes. This group of women gave many hours of valuable service to the community.
In May, 1946, the City Council approved Chief's Wagner's request for a second full-time fireman so that two men would be on duty on each shift. The City hired Howard Schroyer as their second full-time Fireman, and the rural district hired Lester Hemstreet as their second full-time Fireman.
In January, 1949, the City Council took a large step forward in the fire service when they approved Chief Wagner's recommendation to establish a Fire Prevention Bureau through Ordinance No. 216. Vern Kage was hired as the first Fire Inspector Fireman.
In August, 1952, the City Council approved Chief Wagner's recommendation of placing a full-time person in the Fire Prevention Bureau and, with the agreement of the Rural Fire Commissioners paying half of the salary, they hired Andy Andersen as the second full-time Fire Prevention Officer. In September, 1952, the City Council approved Chief Wagner's recommendation for a full-time Assistant Chief, with the agreement of the Rural Fire Commissioners to pay half the salary. Howard Schroyer was promoted to the full-time paid position of Assistant Fire Chief. In October, 1952, the Fire Inspectors' cart was purchased for use in the City and the rural district.