The 1960's and 1970's
Growing Population Leads to a Growing Department
During the 1960's, Chino experienced a population growth that facilitated the need for another fire station, additional personnel, and better firefighting equipment. Chino added 12 men to the department during this period. This addition produced a total of nine men per shift. A 1000 GPM American LeFrance fire engine was purchased in 1960. Station 62 was built in 1964 to provide fire and rescue service to Los Serranos and what is now the Chino Hills area. This station also housed a permanent dispatcher to answer emergency calls. A 1250 GPM Seagrave fire engine and a Chevrolet van were purchased in 1967. The van provided first aid service for the community.
Two student dispatchers were hired in 1968 to answer the increasing call volume. They worked three, 12-hour shifts per week, and received $125 per month. A Navy surplus truck was purchased in 1969 and converted into a water truck to be used for off-road wildland firefighting. The advances made by the Chino Fire Department during the 1960's helped to change it from one of the worst-equipped fire departments in the county to one of the best.
The 1970's were a time of administrative change for the Chino Fire Department. The Chino Valley had essentially been supported by two separate fire departments since the 1930's. The Chino Fire Department covered alarms that occurred within the city limits and the Chino Rural Fire District responded to alarms that occurred in the outlying county areas. Each agency had dedicated fire engines, which would be housed at the same stations. The alarm address would determine which engine would respond; a city engine or Rural District engine. In addition, employees had separate payrolls from each agency and would be paid at different times of the month. It was an administrative nightmare. Consolidation had been attempted many times in the past, but finally in July 1972, the two entities merged and formed the Chino Fire District.
The 1970's also provided growth to the district. Station 63 opened at the Chino Airport in 1971 to service the airport and the dairy preserve. A volunteer station to provide fire protection to the heavily wooded area of the district was located in Carbon Canyon. Station 65 was added in 1977 to service the northern boundaries of the district and to cover the high traffic density of the 60 Freeway. Equipment was purchased to support these new fire stations.